Monday, November 12, 2012

When it rains, it pours


I’ve never been somewhere where that old saying is more true. The few times it’s rained while I’ve been here have been absolute down pours. Today was no different. Shortly after lunch, the skies opened up and the rain started falling like crazy. Unfortunately for me, I had forgotten to close my window when I left for school in the morning. Even worse, I was pretty sure my computer was sitting on my bed right near my window. Seems like my only option was to brave the weather and go back to my room to close the window. That, or buy a new computer.

The problem with heavy rain in Ghana is that the drainage system isn’t really that great. A little rain is no problem, but when it pours, the water doesn’t really have anywhere to go but up. So instead of walking home, it was more like wading home. The water was halfway up my calves! I made it home just fine though (thanks to Madam Gifty for the umbrella) and rescued my computer before it got too wet.

The real fun started on my way back to school after closing my windows. It seemed that in the few minutes it took me to get everything settled in my room, the water level had risen another inch or two. It was so high that even the gutters on the sides of the street were underwater. This is even worse than it sounds because all the gutters here are uncovered and you need to jump over them to get across the street. Normally, this isn’t so bad. Like when you can see both sides of the gutter, I mean. Today, when I didn’t really know where the gutter started and where it ended, I was going based mostly on muscle memory and luck. I wasn’t very lucky. Instead of making it all the way across, I felt my foot slide on the very edge of the gutter and before I knew it, I fell face-first into the now nearly knee-deep water. Good thing I had switched the umbrella for a raincoat. Oh right, raincoats don’t help you if you’re laying in the biggest puddle in the world. To make matters worse, I completely scraped up my hands on the rocks under the water. #winning

I got myself cleaned up when I got to the school though and it made for a great story to tell all the teachers and students. Everyone was really concerned about my hands, but I told them I would just tell people the cuts were from a fight. It’s perfect. I have cuts on my left palm from where I braced my fall when some guy hit me, but I also have cuts on the knuckles of my right hand. You know, from where I beat his face in. That’s believable, right? They didn’t think so either.

When I got back to school later this evening, Madam Gifty insisted on cleaning up my cuts some more with hot water and then putting some anti-bacterial cream on it for me (even though I told her I’d already done that). When she brought out the hot water and rag, I tried taking it from her to clean the cuts myself, but it became pretty obvious that she wasn’t going to let that happen. Instead, she sat down, took my hands, and cleaned the cuts herself. Ghana-Mom to the rescue. And here I thought these two months were going to be an exercise in “independence”.

On a completely unrelated note, I spent yesterday afternoon and early evening at Ben’s house, which is about twenty minutes away from here. Being at Ben’s place is probably the closest thing that I’ll get to being home while I’m here in Ghana. I sat on the couch and watched one of the boys that lives with him play FIFA 2012 on their PS3, watched Hulu, ate a hotdog and salad, and had a milkshake for dessert. It sort of felt like cheating, but it was nice having a day like that where I could just sit back and relax and enjoy a small taste of home. And watch the latest episode of Glee. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment