Friday, November 30, 2012

NAP Talent Showcase (aka D-Day)

Today was the much anticipated showcase featuring singing, dancing, acting, and most importantly, teachers making a fool out of themselves. (That's where the D-Day joke comes in).

All the performances went really well. It was kind of hard hearing the actors because they didn't have mics and elementary school students aren't really the best at projecting while acting, but it was still really good. The songs and dances were great too. It was a lot of fun seeing the students showcase their more artistic side for a change.

Of course, the highlight of the program was the teachers singing "A Whole New World". The kids got really into it and made so much noise that we could barely hear the music that we were supposed to be singing to. Basically, the teachers just tried to yell loud enough that the students could hear them and gave up on singing altogether. It wasn't ideal from a performance standpoint, but it was pretty great from an entertainment standpoint. I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks getting everyone prepared for this showcase and I was really exhausted and disappointed after many rehearsals, but after seeing the final product today, I couldn't be happier. For the record, props to all of the elementary school choir teachers that I've met/worked with in the past. It's a lot harder than it seems to get 7 and 8-year olds to pay attention, much less teach them a song.

We're going on a school-wide excursion tomorrow so I'm about to get some sleep before we head out. It should be a lot of fun to have a special extracurricular event with the students just before I leave. Plus, we're going to these waterfalls that are apparently breathtaking. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Sounds like a big success and a lot of fun. They're lucky to have you. Can't wait to hear all your stories. Enjoy your trip tomorrow and your last week :)

    ReplyDelete