As of today (or last night at 11), I’ve officially been in
Ghana for a week. So here are some thoughts, starting with some highlights from
my trip to Accra today.
- Chinese restaurants all look the same. It
doesn’t mater if you’re in Jenison, MI, Hanover, NH or Accra, Ghana. Seriously,
you could have told me I was in any of those three places for lunch today and I
would have believed you.
- Here’s a picture (linked from Wikipedia. Note to
self: remember to charge your camera battery) of one of the places I went to in
Accra today. It’s the tomb of one of their first political leaders and
revolutionaries, Kwame Nkrumah. And a link to his wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_nkrumah
- Wal-mart owns a chain of stores called “Game”.
There was one in the mall. Wal-mart has expanded to Ghana. Unbelievable.
- The city itself is beautiful. It’s right on the
ocean and the beach is stunning.
Now for some thoughts from this week:
- There is rarely any rain, but it seems like
there are always puddles in the road when I go running. I still haven’t figured
this out.
- Ghanaian people are quite possibly the most
welcoming people in the world.
- Everyone is also very polite. It’s super
important to say some sort of greeting if you’ve made eye contact with someone.
This normally isn’t so bad, but it makes running a bit more of an ordeal. Not
only do I have to remember where I’m going so I know how to get back, I also
have to make sure to say hi to everyone I see, regardless of how out of breath
I am.
- There are goats and chickens that run around the
streets during the day (and probably at night, too). It’s unclear to whom they
belong or whether they belong to anyone at all. I’ve begun to consider them
just another part of the neighborhood.
- Madam Olivia cooks a lot of food. I’ve yet to
finish an entire meal that she’s made me.
- You don’t “have dinner”, you “take supper”.
- The students at NAP had never heard of rock,
paper, scissors before Wednesday. The teachers hadn’t either. I’ve taught most
of the kids how to play by now.
- Ghanaian people tell me I’m handsome a lot.
Maybe that’s why I think they’re so welcoming. :)
- The mosquitoes actually haven’t been that bad so
far. (I hope I haven’t just jinxed myself.)
- The sun sets really early here. It’s dark by 6
or 6:15 every day.
- When you buy things, you have to take whatever
you’re buying and give the person your money with your right hand. You also
only ever handle trash with your left hand. The teachers laugh at me when I
forget this.
- I think the thing I miss most about home (other
than the people) is not having to plan my showers and bathroom breaks around
when I think there is going to be running water. And being able to drink tap
water. And fall colors. Can you miss three things the most?
- Ghanaians know far more about America than
Americans know about Ghana. Or at least than I know about Ghana.
- Maybe it’s because of how welcoming everyone has
been, but it’s been very easy to adjust to life in Ghana.
- I’ve been having a fantastic time so far.
- These next 7 weeks are going to go by way too
quickly for my taste.
| Another picture with the kids from this Friday right after I finished playing volleyball. |

No comments:
Post a Comment