Last night at around 8:30 or so, I was finishing up some
studying at the school (I like to do my work at school because the lights are a
bit brighter) when I decided to go to Sir Dun’s room to collect my things and
head home. Next thing I know, it was 11:00. I guess somewhere between going
into his room and putting my laptop in my backpack, I fell asleep on Sir Dun’s
bed. When he saw that I was awake, he told me just to go back to sleep. He
usually sleeps on the ground anyway, so it was no problem for me to take the
bed for the night. So, I listened to the Headmaster, and dutifully passed back out.
In the morning, around 6:45, I figured I should go
back to my own room to get ready for the day. As I was leaving, I ran into a
few students coming into school. They greeted me and asked how I was and then
one of the said, “Sir, isn’t that the same shirt you were wearing yesterday?”
Caught red-handed. Or, in this case, blue-shirted. I never thought I was going
to get called out for walk-of-shaming during my time in Ghana. Especially not
by a 10-year old.
That small embarrassment aside, today was a pretty special
day. Every Wednesday is worship, but today, the entire staff fasted all
morning. At the end of the morning, so around 11:30, we all gathered in the
computer lab for a staff sermon delivered by Mr. Adu and then some prayers led
by Madam Mavis. During the open-prayer section, one of the teachers told the
rest of the staff that she’s been having problems with her legs for two years
now, and three surgeries later, she still can’t really run and jump. This is
made worse by the fact that she’s the Kindergarten-1 teacher and the students
often ask her to play with them and, try as she might, she is physically unable
to. It was really touching seeing her open up to everyone like that.
After that, I almost lost it when Sir Edward proposed that
they all pray for my safe journey home on Monday and my success in life in the
future. So everyone prayed for me and then Sir Dun stood up to thank me on
behalf of the rest of the staff and said that everyone at NAP from Creche
(pre-nursery) to JHS 3 has been impacted by me and the entire school will miss
me a lot. It was really kind of both of them to say these things and it made me
realize even more that I’m going to miss these people a lot when I leave. Just
5 more days now. Four more, really, if you don’t count next Monday which is the
actual day I leave.
Last, but certainly not least, a special birthday shoutout today
to my sister, Ming, on her 29th birthday. You’ve always been older,
and sooner or later, that was bound to start being a bad thing. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment