Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Looking back on the first month


I can’t believe I’m already halfway done with my volunteering experience here in Ghana. Just a little over halfway, actually. My flight leaves Accra on December 3rd, exactly four weeks from this past Monday.

So now that I’ve been here a month, here are some notable pictures from the first 50% of my time in Ghana.


Some Class 2 and 3 students from my first day at school.
The schoolyard.
More Class 2 and 3.
A great picture of one of the Class 2 students, Vanessa.
Kakum National Park
Sunset at the Cape Coast Castle.
The cells at the Elmina Palace.
The one on the left was for unruly slaves, and the one on the right was for officers that misbehaved.
Me at Elmina
A view of Cape Coast. If you look way in the distance, you can see the ocean (click on the picture to make it larger).
And as promised, more goats.
Other things to note that are harder to convey in pictures:
  • Public transportation here is ridiculously cheap. The trotro ride from Accra to Ashaiman (about 45 minutes) costs 1.50 Cedis, or 75 cents!
  • The idea of immigration is very hard for these children to grasp. Many of them still don’t quite understand that I’m not from China.
  • A few of the kids tell me that they think America is in Heaven because they know Americans come in planes and they see the planes coming from and disappearing into the clouds.
  • It’s very normal for random people to come up to you on the street or in a store and tell you that they want to be your friend.
  • Instead of asking whether or not you will take their picture, a lot of Ghanaians will ask you to snap them.
  • Even though it’s really hot out, most men that I see in the streets wear pants (aka trousers) during the day. I don’t really get it. Other than when I’m at school, I’m always wearing shorts.
  • The mosquitoes have gotten worse over the past few weeks. I knew I jinxed myself when I said they weren’t bad at first.
  • I think I’ve forgotten what being cold is. I walked outside tonight and my first thought was, “wow, it’s kind of chilly.” The low today was in the high 60s.
Some memorable experiences from the first month:
  • All the students repeating “Welcome, Sir Michael Su!” on the first day I was here.
  • Visiting Kwame Nkrumah’s Mausoleum and learning a bit about Ghana’s history and independence.
  • Visiting Cape Coast twice and learning about the history of the city’s importance in the slave trade.
  • Holding a two-day old baby.
  • Walking along the canopy of a rainforest in Kakum.
  • Seeing a Ghanaian a cappella concert.
  • Being caned.
  • Meeting up with another Jenison alum in Cape Coast.
  • Going to church.
  • Watching the election results by myself at 5 in the morning (probably only memorable because this just happened yesterday).
Some things I’m looking forward to in the coming month:
  • Starting a choir at NAP that future volunteers can hopefully continue.
  • Drum lessons this Sunday.
  • Visiting more churches.
  • Learning more of the language.
  • A school-wide excursion to some beautiful waterfalls next weekend.
  • A talent show/arts afternoon that I’ll be organizing for the Friday before I leave.
  • Getting to know the families of some more of my students.
  • Building on the relationships I’ve developed with students and teachers.
  • Learning to cook some of the local dishes.
  • Getting Sir Dun to watch (and stay awake during) one of the Star Wars movies.
  • More time with my students and the rest of these kids!
One month down, one more to go. If the second month is anything like the first, I'm going to have a fantastic November.







1 comment:

  1. So...don't forget to send the postcard!

    Also, did anyone in Ghana ask you whether you supported Obama? Do the teachers there follow US politics?

    ReplyDelete