So, on top of not always having running water, turns out I
don’t always have power either. Last night I was in the middle of dinner when,
all of a sudden, the lights and fan in my room turned off randomly. Apparently
there are a couple power outages per neighborhood per week. These, again, are
unscheduled. Or at least to my knowledge. Good thing I brought my headlamp and
I spend most of my night outside anyway because the lights here are pretty dim.
The power outage wasn’t the only first yesterday though, I also went for my
first run since getting to Ghana. Actually, I have to specify that I went
jogging, they seem to associate running with something bad happening or running
away from something. Anyway, I went on a nice jog around the area I’m living
and succeeded in getting the weirdest looks ever, along with many more
exclamations of “Obruni!” I guess people here don’t go running for exercise
very often since many of them do physical labor as their job and they don’t need
any extra exercise. Either way, I’m assuming my runs are going to be a topic of
many “silly white person” jokes.
Speaking of silly white person… it’s really funny being
considered the pale person here. Though people obviously know I’m not
Caucasian, they still refer to me as white. This is compared to Jenison and
Dartmouth where people say I get so tan in the summer that I look black. Everything depends on perspective, I
guess.
School the past couple days has settled into a nice routine
of observing the teachers' teaching styles and taking some notes, both on the teaching styles and what they're actually teaching. Today I sat in on a Class 1 English lesson and
learned the Twi words for grandma, grandpa, mother, father, sister, and
brother. My vocabulary is growing every day. Yesterday I learned to count to
three. :)
I’ve also become good friends with one of the teachers, Sir
Ernest. He doesn’t believe in caning as punishment.
As far as I can tell, he is the only one. Caning has been a pretty hard thing
to deal with. I didn’t think it’d be this difficult, but watching kids as young as 8 or 9 (especially the little girls) getting caned to the point of tears has
definitely been the hardest thing about NAP so far. That’s why it’s so
refreshing to find a teacher that believes more in rewards like a small treat
or punishments like not being allowed to go to break than physical punishment.
On top of that, he’s just a really nice guy. Both yesterday and today after
lunch we have shared a dessert of bananas and peanuts. I’m very excited to see
how this friendship develops. I think he’s going to be taking me to his church over
one of the coming weekends too.
That’s another big surprise about Ghana: how religious
everyone is. According to Ernest, almost 90% of the country is Christian. In
fact, every Wednesday morning, all the schools hold worship. Look below for a
picture I took this morning. All the kids gathered in one of the bigger
classrooms singing and praying. Very amazing. In fact, I’ll be teaching some
classic American praise songs as part of the music class I’ll be leading. This
Friday’s song is “How Great is Our God”.
Overall, things are still going really well. Days seem very
long, but that’s because my day now starts at 6:45. Last time I got up this
early on a regular basis was junior year of high school. Let me tell you, I’m
definitely looking forward to 10 AM classes again.
Oh, and a quick shout-out to Kaila for helping me buy the
gifts that I brought over. I’ve given the tea and honey to my two “Ghana
mothers’ and the jelly to Sir Dun, the headmaster. They’ve been a huge hit and
I’ve been told to thank my friend who helped me buy them. So Kaila, thank you
from three random Ghanaians that you’ve never met. :)
The last thing
I’ll leave everyone with before heading to bed is a poem that I’m sure you all know
and that Sir Ernest taught his Class 3 class today:
The cock crows in the morn,
To tell us to rise,
For he who lies late,
Will never be wise;
For early to bed,
And early to rise,
Makes a man healthy,
Wealthy and wise
| A few kids from Class 3 |
| Wednesday morning worship |
| Me with some students during the mid-morning break |
| This picture goes out to Claire and Kelly (wherever the two of you are). Turns out kids in Ghana can take selfiez too! :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment