I'm in Amsterdam! Had I planned a little better, I would have gotten here a few days ago and spent some time in the city, but I'm actually only here for a few hours in between flights. My flight from Detroit to Amsterdam was great though. I was sitting in a row of 4, and the middle two seats were empty! I don't think I've ever been more comfortable sleeping on a plane. The guy at the other end of the row wasn't complaining either.
Anyway, going through my e-mails just a couple minutes ago, I realized that one of my friends from home brought up a very good point: I haven't even mentioned what I'm going to be doing in Ghana yet. As far as a bunch of people know, I'm just hanging out for two months. So, for those that don't know, I'm going to be volunteering at an elementary/middle school (NAP Academy) in Tema which is about an hour outside of the capital city of Accra. During the day, I'm mostly going to be helping with homework, tutoring, etc. After school, I'll continue with tutoring and such but also mentor certain students as I see fit, depending on their academic situation, social situation, or both. I'm also going to be leading/co-leading an after-school activity 3 days a week. I haven't completely made up my mind as to what I'm going to do, but I think it'd be pretty cool to start a school choir if they don't already have one.
Here's a wikipedia page about Tema and a link to World Partners in Education's website (that's the organization I'm working with) in case some of you are REALLY bored:
Tema: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tema
World Partners: http://www.worldpartner.org/
The last thing I'll leave you all with is this song that I've been listening to incessantly for the past week or so. I'm posting it both because I think it's an awesome song and because I think it fits my current situation pretty well.
"It's Time" - Imagine Dragon
No comments:
Post a Comment